Thursday, October 25, 2007

Days of yore

Before flying to Vegas tonight, I decided for no particular reason to attempt to set up my Mac "Entourage" system. I need the contact part of it, which was obviously straightforward and which I figured out how to use in less than a second, but for some reason I decided to try and figure out how to have my email sent from my Gmail to my Entourage. (I sort-of understand why it's called Entourage, and I get that it's cute because there's a vaguely misogynistic and homo-erotic HBO show that shares the name, but it kind of annoys me, especially now that I've written the word Entourage about 12 times in two minutes.

Therefore, I will stop writing it and refer to this new system as something else. How bout E. I'm creative, yes I know.

Anyway, the point of this little diatribe is that since I have no idea what I'm doing, the E is currently downloading ALL of my email from my Gmail inbox into its system. I have 4,648 emails in my Gmail inbox. This is not the best use of my time, especially since I'm one of those people who finds it fascinating to read emails that I sent about a year ago (or more). I'm also one of those people who looks at the photo albums of old high school friends and acquaintances on facebook (don't worry Janet you are not alone, although you already knew this).

So I've been reading tons of old emails. For no particular reason other than I wish I was already on my plane, and I like wasting time that I shouldn't be wasting. It's some what depressing, pretty hilarious, and more than a little bit gratifying, since as I'm looking back on emails from a specific person who I don't speak to anymore and who shall remain nameless, I see how much that relationship was draining me and how much better off I am without them. And, it's a little sad, because I see one friendship that has ended that had gone on for years, but in the end just wasn't worth my time and energy, and I realize that I still miss her.

I also see how much lonelier I used to be. How much I've grown. It's kind of awesome.

(Updated, in case anyone care, which they probably don't, but I do, so I'm writing this: I just realized that my email is also sending all my SENT messages to the E. There are 4012 sent messages in my Gmail account. This is insanity.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I understand what an Entourage is? Is it like a Blackberry or something?

Anonymous said...

more like microsoft's outlook...it is software to "manage" stuff like emails.

Of course...with ERL at the controls, it may just end up "managing" her - but there you are