Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The adventures of Metrogirl and other stories.

Sometimes when I'm walking around, or sitting, or standing, or...I guess being awake...my brain will start to wander. (Yes, being awake would be most accurate, since my brain wanders pretty much continuously...)

Anyway, my brain wanders. Yeah. As if that wasn't obvious just from that first mini-paragraph. So I'll be sitting on the metro, or walking down the street, or walking back to the apartment, and I like to play a little game with my wandering brain called "What if I did something right now totally against the expectations of society, and what would the repercussions of that action be." I like this game, because it keeps me entertained, and keeps other people entertained to, because they are able to go home at night and say to their loved ones "Hey blankityblank, I saw a totally crazy person today, who was laughing to herself walking down the street! She looked like she belonged in a mental institute. Isn't that neat?!" (I like to provide entertainment for strangers. I feel it's giving back to society, like a constant form of community service.)

The only problem with this game is, recently I've been really contemplating doing the things that I imagine. Not that I actually would (um, I swear), but they're becoming more and more tempting as the weeks pass. For example: yesterday I was walking home from the Metro and I passed by this truck emptying its contents onto the street. I thought, I wonder what the worker guys would do if I just walked up, nonchalantly grabbed a box, and wandered away. I mean, REALLY nonchalantly, like I was supposed to be there or something. And when they grabbed me, which they would in like .5 seconds, I would look at them like they were the crazy ones and start yelling for the cops. OR...what if on the way to work one day, I just decided not to get off the Metro. Ever. I just refused, and rode it all night and all day, and when it stopped for the night, I would just stay on it. I'd live there. Of course, I'd have to bring a bunch of food with me, or bribe passengers to bring some food down, but I'd totally be famous. I'd be known as Metrogirl, and people would think that I had superpowers, except that they wouldn't be able to get close, because my greatest superpower would be my smell.


Or what if I jumped onto the back truck of a car that was stopped at a stop light, right as it turns green, and the person didn't notice, and I just rode away on it, while holding on for dear life.
Life would be so much more interesting if people did totally unpredictable things. Of course, we'd all be living in a loony bin, but it would be entertaining at least.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always play that game. I call it "The Free Will Game" because we, as humans can do whatever the hell we want, although there are consequences.

Not to freak anyone out, but in college, I used to think, If I were nuts, I could come to class with a gun and kill everyone, and probably get away," or If I wanted to, I could just buy a plane ticket to Romania and start living there." It's odd to think that there's this invisible lid on the jar, and no one really jumps at it. If you do, you are considered crazy (if you shoot people in a school, don't get me wrong, you are definitely crazy).

I've even thought about jumping in the Cal Sag Channel (one of the dirtiest bodies of water in the Chicago area) just becuase I can.

You move too much, btw. ;)