Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Sometimes I think it would be easier to live in a state of complete and utter lack of control, where the State did everything for me.


Seriouuuuuuuusly. I'm not joking (okay yes I am, sort of), but honestly, as a person whose decision making skills are down there with ... ummm ... a really low level animal's like an ameba or something that doesn't really have a brain, sometimes I DO honestly think that life would be much easier if other people made all my decisions for me.

I've often said that my skill as a decision maker are somewhere on the George Costanza level, and have one several occasions contemplated trying his idea of doing everything backward, completely in antithesis of my natural instincts. Because, honestly, maybe then my life would make a little bit more sense, and people wouldn't look at me and my actions and say "Liz. YOU ARE INSANE." (And I wouldn't have to agree with them even if they did still say that.)

If the State (or another person: my puppet master) would just tell me what to do, then I wouldn't have to make all the small stupid decisions that fill up daily life. Or the big ones, like where to attend college (I transferred), where to live after college (um...5 places and counting so far), and what to do with my life professionally (that would be a serious relief, esp. if I lived in a society in which all the hard work was done FOR me and I just got to be the faux boss of everyone, the head of my own little puppet state, where I was fed and cared for, and basically really really stupid ... oh wait! I just described a non-pedophilic version of Michael Jackson)!

Okay neat, I have a role model now. That makes me feel much better about...well...nothing in particular, but I can pretend. Right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can be the dictator of a Central American country, and set up a puppet Dictatorship, or you can be the Republican President of the US, and let a horrible old man pull your strings...

Anonymous said...

You write very well.